Living in Jamaica – How to Apply for a Work Permit?

jamaicaflag1 Are you searching for information about living in Jamaica?
One of the first things you should look into is the requirements for a work permit in Jamaica.
jobs-in-jamaica As a general rule expats looking for jobs in Jamaica are required to obtain a work permit. Citizens of the commonwealth countries may apply for a work visa after arriving to Jamaica, while non commonwealth citizens must apply for a work visa before entering Jamaica.
U.S.A is not one of the commonwealth countries, and therefore U.S.A citizens must apply for a work visa before moving to Jamaica at a Jamaican Embassy or Consulate.
There are 2 types of work permits available for people who are interested in working and living in Jamaica: employed, and self employed:
Employed applicant – You can apply for a work permit only if you have a confirmed job offer in Jamaica. You should fill out the application for work permit, add a photo, and pay the requested fee.
The application should be sent to the Jamaican Ministry of Labour and Social Security, together with a cover letter written by the potential local employer. On the cover letter the local employer must inform the reasons for the application, state the efforts that he made to recruit a Jamaican citizen to do the job, and to inform what is the expected duration of the work.
Self employed applicant – You should fill out the application for work permit, add photos, and pay the requested fee.
In addition you should submit a cover letter describing the nature and duration of the work, details of investment, proof of qualification, a C.V , police record, and a proof of business registration
More information about Jamaican work visa is available on the website of the Jamaican Ministry of Labour and Social Security.
Who is exempted from a work permit?

  • Spouses of Jamaican nationals.
  • Heads of diplomatic mission and members of staff accredited to Jamaica.
  • United States, German, and Canadian Peace Corps personnel are exempt from work permit and registration.
  • Persons employed by the United Nations with Laissez Passer are exempt from visa and work permit.
  • Persons employed in any Ministry or Department of the Government of Jamaica may be exempted from work permit.

Disclaimer: The contents of living in Jamaica work permit page are provided as an information guide only. The use of this website is at the viewer/user’s sole risk. While every effort is made in presenting up-to-date and accurate information, no responsibility or liability is accepted by the owners to this website for any errors, omissions, outdated or misleading information on these pages or any site to which these pages connect or are linked.
The viewer/user of living in Jamaica work permit page should use the above information as a guideline only, and should contact the Jamaican government representatives for the most up-to-date information at that moment in time, before making a final decision to travel to that country or destination.

Back to Israel Index


Speak Your Mind